Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:12:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> The "SCATAPI" drives would use a 1 meter cable -- ALWAYS 1 meter,
> even if you could get away with less. Fold it up neatly
> if it's too long. No taps, 28 AWG conductors, controlled impedance,
> and twists in the signal lines all the way. Peak speed ought to
> reach 132 MBps easily. This just happens to be the capacity of
> 32-bit PCI. A later generation could move up to AGP speeds and
> run off the motherboard chipset's AGP circuitry. CAM would work
> with no modification.

There are those of us who have machines that need long cables.  One of the
boxes I manage has disks that are 15 meters away from the CPU cabinet.  If
you need to have hundreds of disks, you can't have silly cable lengths.  Of
course, the next generation box will be all Fibre Channel, but still.  Even
on my home box, I have a need for greater than 1 metre bus lengths.

david